It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intro Non-programmer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:04 pm 

Saw a mention of this website on Hardhats concerning the Vista Lab Package and decided I wanted to know more. I'm a laboratorian who has worked with RPMS for over 15 years in implementation and support of the laboratory package, both as a Federal Employee then as a contractor. I'm currently working for a private US company in India on an implementation of World Vista EHR.

I am always interested on what the programmers do when it comes to a program I will be either using, supporting or implementing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Intro Non-programmer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Began Programming in MUMPS: 15 Jun 1984
Welcome to Mumpster, Pat.

We're especially interested in the RPMS perspective on Lab in planning for the next versions, partly because we want to reunify VISTA and RPMS Lab, and partly because IHS has different kinds of Lab needs than VA, which can help us make Lab more flexible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pat. Please take a moment to fill in the registration field Location with your city and state.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:06 pm 

I'm in the last phase of the project I currently working on and not of much use. The client has opted to continue to use their current system and use the Vista Lab package in the background and stuff the data into it.
I believe that the Indian Health Service has shown more forward thinking in the last few years with regards to the Lab Package. They seem to have smaller budgets than the VA so they are forced to use what they have and try to improve it, rather than going to an outside source and with fewer programmers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, a large budget is often a death sentence for IT projects, since large projects fail overwhelmingly more often than small ones, as reported in the Standish Group's CHAOS Reports.

This is consistent with Christopher Alexander's writings about architectural design, in which he explores the reasons why improving existing buildings is so much more successful than tearing them down and replacing them - because all of the old strengths are preserved, plus problems are fixed and new strengths added, whereas replacement throws out all the old strengths along with the weaknesses.

I agree that IHS has been the more progressive organization with VISTA/RPMS for many years now, largely for this very reason. The VA's long series of failed replacement projects has stalled them out and continues to waste the resource advantage they have over IHS.

Offline Profile