It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intro: Dave Mishler (mish)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:42 am 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 01 Jan 2009
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to the MUMPS language, although I have been programming since 1970 using a wide variety (even COBOL!) of languages.

I currently work for a medical device company, writing safety critical real-time embedded software to control those devices. I also helped to create a healthcare informatics initiative and product line for our company. Wanting to learn more about healthcare IT, I enrolled in Northwestern University's Master in Healthcare Informatics degree program.

As part of my course work, there was an introduction to this really odd language called MUMPS. As I soon found out, MUMPS is pretty amazing and has been around for a long time.

The MUMPS trail eventually lead to VistA, and vxVista, and OpenVistA, and WorldVistA... And so, for the last year I've been a WorldVistA volunteer, most recently helping out with the Meaningful Use project.

I look forward to learning more about MUMPS and the VistA ecosystem.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Intro: Dave Mishler (mish)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

Began Programming in MUMPS: 15 Jun 1984
Hi Dave and welcome to Mumpster!

All of the VISTA flavors (which also includes RPMS) are very close, over 99.99% the same. Although the community has spent the last eight years diverging into these dialects, I believe we'll spend the next four reunifying back to a common core standard VISTA, to which vendors will add their proprietary extensions.

As for MUMPS, it is an unusual language, which makes sense - it's the only major programming language ever specifically designed for medical software.

Offline Profile