It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bryan Stone Introduction
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:18 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 01 Jun 1978
I am a retired physician and MUMPS programmer. I first learned on a MIIS system starting in about 1978, and then went into private practice in Family Medicine in Waco, TX. I eventually had a Data Tree Mumps system which ran, from one Intel 286 PC, 16 terminals and two printers. We had terminals in each examing room, with all data input by the physician, and all paper work was printed by the system. There was almost no hand writing in the clinic after about 1980. All prescriptions were automatically checked for drug interactions and allergies with the patient record. A few copies were sold by Joe Smith at Doctors Computer or later Computer Integration in Dallas.

Now I have been retired for 13 years, and want to do some M programming to work on some ideas for bird coding systems, and also to work on an improved way of managing the data base for our local Audubon Society. To some extent thai could be done in EXCEL, but I know that if I could use all the string managing functions in M it would be much easier to try different things.

I have installed the free download of Cache, generously provided by Intersystems, on my PC, runing Win7 64 bit.

In Terminal I have been able to execute some simple commands like S ^x("r")=string, and used $L, $p and $e functions, so I feel a bit at home. Looking thru the documentation I find a lot of the old M commands are there.

I was hoping to find a quick way to get started with wrting and saving routines. As far as I can tell routines are now called "Scripts". Is that true?

All I want to be able to do to start is open a Windows File, probably .csv, read each line as a string, manipulate the string, and save it back to another CSV file.

I wonder if anyone here can give me a few quick tips to do this. Am I using the best implementation of M for this purpose in using Cache, or is there something simpler which would still run in a Win7 64 bit system?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Bryan Stone Introduction
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:06 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 0- 0-1971
Welcome Bryan.

Feel free to jump into the MUMPS Programming I course - it's pretty much self paced. It may be too elementary for you but take a look anyway.

If you are running Windows you are probably confined to Cache. I think you will find that if you scratch below the surface you will find a robust MUMPS system - disregard the marketing hype and the object stuff.

Sounds like all you need are the I/O commands OPEN, USE, READ, WRITE and CLOSE. This is a good question to ask under Unit 1, Basic MUMPS Commands.

Good luck!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Bryan Stone Introduction
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:35 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 01 Jun 1978
Terry
Thanks for yoru reply. I still have the M language reference from Intersystems, and think I will have no problem writing M code. I have found that if I write a label, tab, then some text or code
then another tab and some code, I can then zsave the routine. Thus I have a routine called "bird"

I can zload that in a later Terminal session, and if I write more lines of codes preceded by tabs, they are appended to the routine.

However, I cannot find the command to edit the routine. I have tried ZE, ZE bird, ZEDIT, ZEDIT bird, and none of them has worked.

I also found something about languagemode() which should be set to 2 for DTM compatibility, but I have not figured out how to set it. Do I need to?

I think if I can get past these points I can write the routines I need. I would appreciate any advice. Here is my first try at a routine - but I need to know how to edit it. Some of the lines do not need to be there.

bird ;bird codes
s infile="n:\bs\bcodeM.csv"
f i=1:1 u infile r x q:x="" u 0 w !,i,?10,x
f i=1:1 u infile r x q:x="" u 0 w !,i,?10,x
f i=1:1:20 u infile r x u 0 w !,i,?10,x

Is this a routine in Cache, or is it called a script or an application?

Offline Profile