It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Menu Option "Request a Paideia account"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Began Programming in MUMPS: 15 Jun 1984
David Wicksell added a new menu option to Mumpster yesterday to support our Paideia Project to train the next generation of MUMPS programmers. By selecting "Request a Paideia acount," new MUMPS students are taken to a web form where they can request an empty environment on our Paideia server where they can explore MUMPS. These environments are intended for use with our Paideia 301 course, Basic MUMPS, which begins next week, and with the MUMPS 1995 Workbook, which we're publishing a chapter at a time as the guide students can use to teach themselves MUMPS using those environments.

Mumpster as a whole was initially created to support those courses, so I'm 100% behind this enhancement of Mumpster.

Whenever a student fills out the web form, an e-mail will get sent to Mr. Wicksell's brother Kevin Lapin, who will create user accounts for them on our Paideia server. Mr. Lapin will also be the one to talk to when we want to change any of the details of the form, what it says, etc. He will be maintaining that page for Mr. Wicksell.

Let's use this thread to give feedback to Mr. Lapin on improvements to the web form.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Menu Option "Request a Paideia account"
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:30 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 12 Jan 2011
Hello Kevin,

Thanks for doing this. I wanted to comment on your form. . .

First of all, I wasn't sure why you would want my phone number and address. It might be good to either indicate why on the form or have a link to click to that explains why you want those.

Next, it was nice to get the acknowledgement email that you had gotten my request, but this is probably a good place to tell me what to expect. Perhaps something along the lines of: "You should receive your login information within two business days, if you don't email me." Or something like that.

Once again, Kevin, thanks for handling this. I'm looking forward to when I can start learning Mumps.

linda dot yaw at vistaexpertise dot net

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Menu Option "Request a Paideia account"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:43 am 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 01 Sep 2010
Linda,

Thanks for the feedback. I have changed the email that is sent after someone requests and account to include more information that will help someone who may not know what to expect.

Also, the phone number and address are optional on the web form. The * next to a particular field indicates that the particular field must be filled with valid information or else a popup will inform the user that the request is invalid. If the address and phone number fields are left blank, the request form will still be sent. In other words, the reason why those fields are there is to allow us to have more access to be able to contact the person signing up. Hope this helps.

"Show me your friends and I'll show you your future." - Myles Munroe

"Better to be silent and appear a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

Offline Profile